Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 50: Baby Toms

Halfway through! Can you believe it is only 50 days until Christmas! I am so excited to celebrate our Saviors birth! We love to give gifts to those around us to help remind us that Jesus came to earth to die in our place and cover our sins with His blood, giving us the gift of life.
Today's project is a gift for a precious baby in my life. I really wanted to make her some little baby "tom" type shoes. My finished project today did not turn out as well as I would have liked and probably won't be given as a gift. However, just a little tweaking on my next try and I think they will be great.

You will need:
Suede
Canvas material
and 1/2 in elastic
You can find my pattern for these shoes at the end of this blog. This pattern is for a size 1 but can easily be enlarged for a bigger foot.

Cut all pieces of a the pattern out of a double fold of canvas material, except for the sole. Cut 2 of the sides, giving you 4 side pieces.

Take the back piece and sew down each side with right sides together. Turn right side out.
Hem the top of each side piece. Pin each side piece to the back piece and sew using the smallest zig zag stitch.

Cut the V out of the toe and sew in the elastic. You will have a little fabric hanging over on top this is OK it is for hemming. Hem the top edge of the toe.

Line up the edge of the sides and the toe and sew with the small zig zag.
Lastly, turn the shoe inside out and pin the canvas to the suede sole, lining up the heal with the back and making a pleat on the toe with the extra fabric. Sew.

Trim any excess suede or fabric. Turn right side out. Repeat all instructions for the second shoe.

My assembly and sewing left something to be desired but the pattern is good. I will be making more of the these. Practice makes perfect.

Here is the pattern. I searched and searched and couldn't find a way to put up a pdf on the blog. BUT, if you copy and paste this picture to a word document and scale it to 8.5x11 paper it will be the size shoe I made.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment